Friday, June 3, 2011

yet-to-be-named - 2

I barely managed to catch the bus at the last second, as I usually do and chose to sit close to the window, so it’s a little airy. As the bus started speeding up, the air hit hard on my face and my thoughts rose. Who is the right person that can tell what my dad thinks (to some extent) and how he is bound to react? And the first person who flashed across my mind was my childhood friend, Agni.

Agni and I were neighbors and good friends and the irony – we didn’t share anything in common, not a thing. This is what made me think he is the right person who I can use, to judge my dad. Agni now lives in Madhuranthakam, a small town in the outskirts of Chennai and he is one of the main persons that manage a Mutt (a place where Hindu scriptures are taught). He is doing his Bachelor’s degree by correspondence. He is a person who I can look up to, anytime and for anything.

It’s been a while since I got in touch with him and I have a feeling, the time has come. I have not told him of my love affair as yet, and the fear of telling him is even more than telling of it to my dad. I have no idea how he would react.

Few days later
It was a Saturday morning and dad was just about to leave to office, when the doorbell rings. Being known for his non-punctuality, I believed it wasn’t Vikram at the door, but I was shocked more than surprised.

“So US has changed you, huh?” I winked. He laughs and we exchange friendly bumps.

“How are you, Vikram? Feels good to be here, or are you criticizing everything you see?” asks my dad. “Not at all, Uncle, India, anytime!” and he gives a hi-fi to dad. “Ok guys, I’m running late, you guys catch up with your past and have fun.”

“Aunty, don’t tell me you made “upma” for breakfast. I’ve been expecting some hot Pongal, vada, chutney and sambhar. See, now you know why I came early?”

“You haven’t changed one bit, Vikram. It feels so good to see you. How do you like the US? Have you already chosen an American girl for you?” Mom laughs.

“Girls here are better, Aunty. I’m sure Shravan knows a lot of them, and I bet he’s already chosen one. Make yourself ready to get him married to a north Indian girl, who doesn’t know how to cook, doesn’t believe in God and wears skimpy clothes…” I could see my mom go open-mouthed.

“Mom, give us some coffee, we are going to my room.”

In my room
“Why did you have to talk to mom like that? It wasn’t funny at all.”

“Oh, so did you want me to tell her about Sunitha, so she really knows what she is in for? I just gave her an introduction, so that……”

“Stop it, you don’t know an inch about this and you start blurting out a whole boring story. Listen first....”

Mom shouts : “Shravan, Vikram, Agni is here.”

“Agni………………..? You have called him here to discuss THIS? Are you nuts?

No comments:

Post a Comment